Hello Standing Desk Enthusiasts.
Welcome to our DIY Standing Desk Kit website.
What’s this site all about? Simple.
Our names are Paul and Doug and we are roommates in San Diego, CA. We both felt sitting to work at our computers for hours every day was making us feel lethargic, achy and inactive. In looking for solutions to help us be more active and productive, we came across the many benefits of standing desks. We were excited by the concept and relentlessly searched for reasonably priced desks.
We were disillusioned to learn that the cheapest standing desks start at around $350 with the more desirable desks ranging from $500 to more than $1000. Maybe $1000 is not a bad price when your boss is picking up the tab, but for a home-office this seemed unreasonable to us.
That’s when we discovered the vibrant furniture hacking community where people shared their designs on how to construct standing desks out of common furniture items–mostly from IKEA. While these “desks” were functional, most were based on stacking something on your existing desk. We knew there had to be a better solution and continued our search.
While grabbing some meatballs at our local IKEA, we discovered the VIKA Artur adjustable-height desk (now called FINNVARD) and realized that we could convert this standard sitting desk into an adjustable-height standing desk by replacing the short adjustment legs with longer and sturdier legs.
We spent an afternoon measuring, sawing, drilling, and sanding to build our first set of longer, adjustable legs for the desk. For less than $200 we had a simple, sturdy, adjustable, and elegant standing desk. While you can follow our design and build your own replacement legs, it will take specialized tools, a trip to the lumber yard, and a wasted afternoon. Instead, you can order our kit and save yourself some time and headache–no special tools are required and the entire desk can be assembled in minutes.
So go to IKEA (or visit IKEA.com) to get the parts listed on our HOW TO page, order our kit for $79 and you will be the fortunate owner of a high value DIY standing Desk in no time.
To the MAKER in you,
Paul and Doug
- Eight height adjustments at approximately 39, 40.25, 41.5, 42.75, 44, 45.25, 46.5, 47.75 inches.
- Requires no permanent modification to the IKEA elements making it easy to return the desk to original configuration if needed.
- Uses original IKEA hardware.
- No drilling, sawing, taping, sanding–NO special tools required to assemble.
- Assemble in less than 30 minutes.
- We stand by our product and use it every day. 100% Satisfaction guaranteed.
- The kit elements are made in USA from solid oak.
What You’ll need:
- Two VIKA ARTUR trestles with shelf (called FINNVARD in some IKEAs) they should be about $30 each at your local IKEA.
- A VIKA AMON desktop (be sure to get the 29.5 inch deep one) for $26-36 depending on color at your local IKEA.
- One DIY Standing Desk Kit from us for $79 (plus $14 shipping and CA tax is applicable).
- Check our how to page for more details, IKEA links, photos and a list of our favorite add-ons and accessories.
So why wait? Your health is too important. Order today and stand up for your health! Also, be sure to read more about our desk, learn more about the health benefits of standing desks, and check our media stream for more info on standing in the work place.